Computing - Web Design - Using HTML & CSS - Stage 1 [HEF1774G]: Overview
This course aims to take you through the various stages of creating a basic website. A must for anyone looking at starting their own business.
What will we cover?
• Design a simple HTML website.
• Assemble a web page using HTML code.
• Prepare and optimise images for web use.
• Create stylish and uniform pages using cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
• Set Up website names and choose suitable hosting
Who is this course for? Is there anything I need to know before joining?
This course is suitable for an absolute beginner in web design. However, it is not a beginner’s course in computers and therefore important you already have a good working knowledge and experience of using computers; you must be confident using a PC and mouse for everyday use. You should have experience using the Internet and should be able to create, locate and save files and folders. While Mac users will be supported, this course is PC-based and students should be confident in their own ability to transfer their learning between operating systems.
As our courses are taught in English, please contact us if you have any concerns about your level of English.
What do I need to bring to the first class? Will there be any extra costs?
A pen/pencil and notebook will be required to take notes during the course. Handouts will also be provided.
A USB Memory Stick is essential for backup copies of work created during the lesson and for subsequent lessons. The text book: “Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML and CSS” by Ian Lloyd (Third Ed) is also recommended for subsequent lessons.
What can I do when I finish the course?
On completion of this course, you can progress on to any of the following:
• Web Design – Search Engine Optimisation
• Web Design – Using WordPress – An Introduction
• Web Design – Using WordPress – Stage 1
• Social Media – An Introduction
• Social Media – Creating a Blog
• Social Media – Creating Digital Content
• Social Media – Podcasting
• Social Media – For Business – Stage 1
• Social Media – Facebook
• Social Media – Instagram
• Social Media – LinkedIn
• Social Media – Channels & Safety
• Business Management – Run Your Own Business – Stage 1
We welcome learners with additional needs and disabilities. When you enrol please let us know if you would like to discuss your extra support needs with a member of the Supported Learning Team who will then contact you as soon as possible. If you are enrolling within 10 days of the course start date, we may not be able to contact you before your first class. Surrey Adult Learning values and supports equality and diversity by promoting fairness and respect at all times.
Additional entry requirements
Course reference: HEF1774G (use this when contacting provider)