Remember those days when you just went to the pool to splash around with your friends? Chances are if you are a member of a swimming team or club, the answer will be no. Your life is a routine of showering, swimming and showering again. The chlorine plays havoc with your eyes and you’re 99% sure your hair will never be the same again, yet the thought of not being in the pool for a week fills you with dread. If you’re thinking of diving in at the deep end and taking a swimming course, have a read of these twelve problems first.
1. You are slightly concerned at the amount of chlorine you consume on a weekly basis.
2. Your childhood in a photograph. And you can confirm ‘no more tears’ is false advertising after rubbing it in your eyes like the kid did on the advert.
3. You are yet to find a perfume that is strong enough to cover the smell of chlorine.
4. The constant struggle to get your hair into a swimming cap.
5. The fact that no matter what you do, no amount of makeup can disguise the tell tale goggle marks after training.
6. Your friends assuming you can dive like Tom Daley – how many times, it’s a different sport guys!
7. When everybody becomes obsessed with swimming at the Olympics, only to forget that it’s a sport a few weeks later.
8. The anti-fog goggle – they lied.
9. Finally getting the water out of your ear, only to realise it’s an hour until you are back in the pool again.
10. Overcrowded lanes –a free for all, involving kicking, over taking and the not-so-occasional crash. What anti-clockwise rule?
11. Those early morning starts.
12. You do it every day and will be warm in five minutes, yet the feeling of jumping into a cold pool shocks/fills you with dread every time.
Looking to get back into swimming or improve your technique? Dig out those goggles and sign up to one of the swimming courses listed on our site. We’re sure you won’t regret it!
Jane McGuire received her BA (English) from the University of Loughborough. A yoga enthusiast with a sweet tooth, in her spare time you will probably find Jane in the gym or online shopping.