When we started writing about sailing courses, it didn’t take us long to realise there were entire tumblr and twitter feeds dedicated to sailor problems. Although we still don’t quite get some of them, we’ve learnt the hard way to stop asking Jade, our editorial and marketing manager who keeps angrily explaining she’s a rower, which is VERY different. If you are thinking of signing up to a sailing course, have a read of some of these and get ready to experience them out on the water.
1. The constant fear that you should be adjusting something (spoiler alert - you probably should be).
2. Explaining the endless bruises
3. Realising just how hideous all your gear smells, and knowing that no matter how many times you wash it, it’s always going to smell that way.
4. The never ending problem of thinking you are at a regatta
5. ‘Wait…you sail on actual boats?’
6. The overwhelming struggle of thinking up a witty name for your new boat.
7. The heart-breaking sound of sailing ripping - the sailors equivalent to nails down a blackboard.
8. Knowing that your hands will never be the same again.
9. Last but not least…
If you can think of any we’ve missed, why not give us a shout on Facebook or Twitter? If you’re ready to set sail, why not take a look at the courses listed here and get inspired.
Jane McGuire received her BA (English) from the University of Loughborough. A yoga enthusiast with a sweet tooth, in her spare time you will probably find Jane in the gym or online shopping.