Psychology is all about understanding the brain; for example how do we do simple tasks like choose what to have for dinner or make conversation with our colleagues? The brain is made up of four different lobes, the frontal lobe used for decision making and planning, the temporal lobe is for language memory. The parietal lobe on the left hand side of the brain is what controls our spatial skills and at the back of the brain is the optical lobe, dedicated to vision. The optical lobe is probably the easiest to test; here at Hotcourses we love to help, so decided to set you all a brain game – the perfect 11am pick me up. (Warning – these might mess with your mind)
1. Count the number of black dots in this image.
2. How many legs does the elephant have? (If you work this out please let us know...)
3. What do you see? Random black lines or the letter ‘E’?
4. Young lady or old woman?
5. Stare at the middle yellow stripe on the fish for ten or twenty seconds and then look in the fish bowl.
6. How long does it take you to find the baby?
7. The one that baffled us in primary school – two faces or a vase?
8. We still can’t get over this...
9. They can’t be moving...can they? If you stare for long enough at this one the gear wheel on the left should turn clockwise and the one on the right should turn anti clockwise very slowly.
10. Finally, our favourite – dancing robots who we know shouldn’t be moving.
If you are now seeing weird shapes everywhere and want to get inside your head and find out more, a psychology course could be just what you are looking for. With plenty of full time, part time and evening classes available, whether you want to train your brain or start a new career we are sure we will have something for you.
Jane McGuire received her BA (English) from the University of Loughborough. A yoga enthusiast with a sweet tooth, in her spare time you will probably find Jane in the gym or online shopping.